If you followed my Christmas series on the blog, you’ll know that desserts are not my forte. This is mostly because they take time and I’m lazy. That aside, I’ve wanted to nail down a recipe for something sweet for bringing to work or events to help prove that there is no real difference between the tastiness of vegan and non-vegan foods! In the past week or two I’m happy to say that, with these brownies – I have!
You Will Need:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa/cacao powder (I ran out of my cacao but any unsweetened dairy free chocolate powder should work!)
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter – my favourite is this flora dairy free one, but they’ve just made their new range release ENTIRELY vegan!
- 1/2 cup brown caster sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut milk – pop it in the fridge for a few hours so that the creamy part solidifies, add all of the coconut cream and enough of the water to make it up to the 3/4 cup
- 1tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- bar of your favourite chocolate – I made this batch chocolate orange flavoured!
- 1 tbsp freedom chocolate spread
- Preheated oven to 160c (fan)
How to make it:
This is a super simple recipe. Basically add in all the ingredients to a bowl and mix with a hand mixer (if you are fancy and have a stand mixer, of course you can use that!).
Mix until everything is well combined and creamy.
Take all of your rage out on your bar of chocolate and throw it’s chunky little pieces into the mix and fold in.
Spread the mix into an average sized baking tray – I have no idea what the dimensions are of mine are because I’m not a pro (Surprising, I know!). What I do know it it made 12 brownies about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. So a tray that can do that! Also, please line your baking tray.
Bake for 25 minutes. Then place on a cooling rack still in the tray to cool for 10 mins before your try to cut them – they’re pretty gooey and will just fall apart otherwise. Make sure to cut them by then time they are 30 minutes out of the oven though, or the chocolate chunks will have hardened again and will break up the brownies.
These stayed pretty good for at least 5 days (as long as my will power) in an airtight container. They also are amazing heated in the microwave for 10 seconds and served with ice-cream!
Hope you give these guys a go, they’re so easy and a tasty treat with a cup of coffee!